Friday 4 July 2014

Holiday Ideas to keep your Kids Happy!

 


Have some good ideas on standby when they start telling you they are bored or when they are driving you up the wall!

What are you doing with your kids this holiday?
 
These are just SOME of the things you can so with your little ones this holiday. I found myself making a list a week ago in preparation and thought I would share them with you. Please reciprocate by sharing some of your ideas with me and everyone else by commenting.
 
 Visit a Farmyard/ Animal Farm
There are few options here:
Duck 'n Deck - Assagay
The Animal Farmyard - Botha's Hill
Winsome Farm - Summerveld
Or you can travel out to the North Coast and visit Flag Animal Farm?

 
For Nature/Adventure Lovers:
Drive out to Crocworld Conservation Centre - Scottburgh
Tala Private Game Reserve - Eston
Botanic Gardens - Durban or Pietermartizburg
Makaranga - Kloof
Giba Gorge
1000 Hills Bird Park
Hike through Krantzkloof Nature Reserve
Umhlanga's Lagoon Nature Reserve walk - start at the end of Lagoon Drive
Visit a farm (we will be visiting my parents)
Take a trip to the beach and walk/cycle Durban's 'Golden Mile'
Putt Putt at Piggly Wiggly - Kloof


Fun at Home
Board Games
Baking
Crafts (Mr Price Home usually has nice bits and bobs to buy)
Making jewellery
Practice reading, writing and maths (that is on our list!)
Do a scavenger hunt (I am busy coming up with one for my daughter)

 
Others:
Visit the Durban Museum
Inchanga Choo Choo
The KZN Science Centre - Gateway (my daughter loved this when I took her here last year!)
Groovy Balls - Cliffdale
Markets
Shongweni Parkrun every Saturday morning (register online)


Child Friendly Restaurants:
I started putting a list together starting with Lucky Bean and then this stumbled into my Facebook newsfeed and saved me the trouble.
We have been to a few on the list so can comment on those:
Arts Cafe - Glenwood
Nice vibe, quirky little shop and bit thick quiche slices.
Circus Circus - Beach Cafe
Nice but nothing wow. I would rather get Afro's Chicken
Lucky Bean - Assagay
See below
Oil & Oil - Hillcrest
Wasn't wowed by the 'kiddies area'. It was basically just a small room with a Wii
Cafe Jiran - Beachfront
BEST hamburgers we have ever tasted. Well priced. Been twice and didn't see a play area and nothing was mentioned to us either?
Primi Polo - Hillcrest
I always enjoy a good pizza and my little one loves playing with the dough and getting them cooked. Heaven for a little girl!
Piggly Wiggly - Midlands
It is a great day out and VERY kiddie friendly. You could also visit Piggly Wiggly in Kloof and play putt-putt. There are so many child friendly restaurants and stops in the Midlands such as Lavender & Trout, The Junction, Caversham Mill and so on...
Giba Cafe
We haven't eaten there but have been to the Play Market and to parties and love it!
Yellowwood Cafe
Beautiful view of the Howick Falls and great fun for the kids
Hooters
Can't say that I have been there with my little one but have seen other kids having a ball there. In fact your husband will be put out as the kids generally get loads more attention than the men!!
 
Play at Lucky Bean - Assagay
LB offers some free holiday craft activities offered to the littlies (2-6 years) throughout the holiday. I am still sad Akimbo closed. I digress. Lucky Bean is great for smaller kids but with a 7 year old I feel we have officially outgrown it.

No comments:

Post a Comment